- 1 whole pineapple, diced small
- 2 tbsp ginger
- sugar syrup, or to taste (recipe in method)*
- 6 whole mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 whole bananas
- 12 large spring rolls wrappers
- oil, for deep-frying
*Syrup can be made in advance and stored up to 3 months in the refrigerator
Ginger and Sugar Syrup
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar and put on fire.
- When sugar has dissolved, add a 5cm piece of ginger and let simmer for 15 minutes.*
- Let cool and glove.
- Slice bananas into 2 pieces – across in half.
- To make the spring rolls take 2 layers of the wrapper and place in a diamond shape in front of you.
- Put 1 half of the banana 2 inched above base of wrapper.
- Fold in the bottom over the filling, then fold in the sides.
- Roll up to the top and brush top edge wiith water or egg to seal.
- In a wok, heat the oil for deep-frying to 180°C.
- Add spring rolls, a few at a time and deep-fry till golden brown.
- Put two on to a plate, dust with confectioners icing sugar, spoon a few tablespoons of pineapple salsa and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.