- 2 packets, cut into 2” cubes
For the Black Pepper Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce, dark
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine (shao hsing)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
For the Tofu
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 whole red chili, minced
- 11⁄2 cups spring onions, cut in 1” pieces
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce together except for the corn flour and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, deep fry till crispy and set aside.
- In a wok, over a medium to high fire, heat oil and butter together. Add the minced ginger, garlic and red chilies and stir fry till fragrant (do not brown).
- Add the reserved sauce, stir it in, then add the deep fried tofu and continue to stir fry on high heat till all the tofu is coated with the sauce.
- Add 1 tablespoon corn flour mixed in 2 tablespoons water to thicken the sauce.
- Add the spring onions, mix in thoroughly and take off the fire.
- Put in serving dish, garnish with a red chili and serve immediately.
*This recipe may be used for crabs: 6 small mud crabs – Remove the top shells, rinse and reserve. Remove the gills and discard, then halve the crabs leaving the claws attached, halve again and crack the claws & legs. Deep fry the crabs including the top shells in hot oil till the colour of the shell changes to red, then follow directions for the beef. You may omit the spring onions.