- 1kg beef rib eye or fillet, for roasting
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 head garlic, peeled and cloves
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1kg baby spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tie the roast with twine at 2cm intervals. Place in heavy bottomed saute pan, drizzle over the olive oil, scatter the garlic cloves and generously season with the sea salt and paper so all the sides are well coated. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove beef and set aside.
- Place pan over a medium to high heat, add butter and melt. Remove garlic cloves when they have caramelized and set aside. Add beef with all the marinate and saute. Keep turning the beef and be sure to get a good colour evenly on all sides – about 20 minutes
- Take off the heat, return the garlic to the pan, cover with a tight fitting lid or foil and let it rest for 25-30 minute (medium rare).
- Remove beef from pan onto a plate, leave the juice. Return pan with reserved juices onto a high head – let it boil/sizzle and cool till some liquid evaporates.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the beef slices, scatter on the caramelized garlic, place sautéed baby spinach (see method below) on the side and serve immediately)
- Wash and thoroughly dry the spinach leaves.
- In a large sauté pan, over a high fire, heat oil till almost smoking then add the garlic and sauté till soft (not brown)
- Add the spinach leaves, season with salt and pepper and sauté till just wilted. Take off dire, mix in throughly the lemon juice and serve.